Friday, March 19, 2010

Reanimator



It's a curse of Art that looking back at old work is painful. Clumsiness, tentativeness, and poorly-chosen colors scream out their pitiful, obvious wrongness. The best thing to do is to take that as a sign of growth and move on.

But what if there is something there worth reviving? I always liked the script to this piece, (the only dialog is in the Venusian Jblorgonese dialect) but over time, the animation itself began to pall. I thought it would be fun to upgrade it. It wasn't long before I remembered a certain Dr. Frankenstein, who had his reanimation woes, too.

Reanimating your old work can be frustrating as you wallow in old problems that must be solved again. Meanwhile your fresh, untried ideas sit on the sidelines, moldering. From now on, I'll try to get it right the first time. And if I don't, suffering the consequences once will be plenty.

If you would like to see the earlier version, it's onYouTube. You've been warned.

PS, after I posted this the first time I found a few more things that were out of whack enough that I went back and re-edited the movie. Hours and hours later I have come up with a version I am going to live with. All the original files have been wiped off my machine. As God is my witness, I will live in the past no longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment